Stateside Associates is seeking a Manager for their Legislative Division who will manage an issue focused team and report directly to the head of the Legislative Division. This position requires excellent time management skills, effective communication and managerial skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The Manager will support their team through the busy state legislative session and must be able to make quick decisions regarding the most efficient way to organize those teams to ensure that high priority bills are identified and entered quickly, bill updates are made as close to real time as possible and large backlogs of legislation do not develop. During the months of January through April the Manager can expect to work long hours coordinating staff efforts, fielding client emails and calls, and at times assisting in the process of summarizing and adding bills to the legislative tracking program. Managers are also called on to be issue and legislative experts and handle client requests. This position requires the ability to quickly learn about issues related to financial services, higher education, K-12 education, consumer/data privacy and corporate taxation.
Key Job Duties Include:
- Managing a legislative research staff of up to 10 people.
- Serving as an issue expert on selected issues.
- Training staff on legislative issues and state legislative processes.
- Fielding client inquiries regarding outlook and the impact of introduced legislation.
- Preparing legislative reports for clients.
- Designing and executing in-depth research projects.
- Providing quality control audits of staff work.
- Entering and updating legislation.
- Keeping familiar with state legislative schedules and action.
- Bachelors Degree in Political Science, Public Policy or a related field, with graduate degree preferred.
- Familiarity with current policy trends in state legislatures – familiarity with financial services issues is a plus.
- Minimum 3 years experience in state government relations preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of managerial experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in drafting legislation.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Familiarity with state legislative process.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
If you are qualified for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include MA194Q in subject line. This information is required for consideration. No Phone Calls, Faxes or Agencies please.
Stateside Associates is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, age or protected Veteran status.
Stateside Associates’ EEO AA Policy
Stateside Associates is the industry leader in state and local government affairs services. Our expertise encompasses all 50 states and all US territories. Our clients include corporations, trade associations, advocacy coalitions, non-profits and the federal government.