Stateside Associates, the leading 50-state government affairs and issue management firm, seeks professionals to perform research and analysis regarding state legislation and politics. You will work in one of Stateside’s four Issue Teams supporting major corporations and trade associations in their state lobbying and government relations efforts.
Legislative Associates must have prior experience serving on staff in a state legislature. Internships are not considered staff positions, but please inquire about other opportunities, if you have any experience in a state legislature.
This is a highly demanding environment. Extensive training provides Legislative Associates with the issue, client and state knowledge needed to perform optimally. Standards of performance are very high. Opportunities for advancement in Stateside’s growing firm are strong. Benefits include: excellent Health Insurance Plan, fitness center, 401k Match, Profit Sharing, bonuses and other benefits. Starting salary range is the mid to upper $30s.
Please forward resume and cover letter to email@example.com. This position is located in Arlington, Virginia.
Detailed Description of Job Duties:
- Communicate with legislators, legislative staff, Chambers of Commerce and relevant stakeholders to analyze, summarize and determine the viability of state legislation.
- Uphold positive working relationships both internally and with clients, legislative sources and allied organizations.
- Provide timely and appropriate response to all communication; email and telephone inquiries.
- Maintain working knowledge of state government resources and information, client information and policy trends.
- Research a specified set of policy issues as part of an issue team in support of client government affairs programs.
- Track and analyze legislation and provide in-depth political and policy analysis and research.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience in legislative research and policy evaluation from time spent on state legislative staff. Ideal candidates will have worked in one of the following capacities: Chief of Staff; Legislative Director; Legislative Aide; Legislative Assistant; Committee Administrator; Committee Clerk; or similar job duties.
- Bachelors degree in political science, public policy, government, communications or related field.
- Superior writing ability required.
- Strong comprehension of state legislative and executive systems.
- An ability to understand, analyze and summarize complex legislative issues.
- Familiarity with state legislative processes and procedures.
- Ability to meet deadlines while demonstrating professionalism under pressure.
- Exceptional listener and communicator who effectively conveys information verbally and in writing.
- Strong analytical research skills. Research will involve phone interviews and internet research.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
- Flexible team player who thrives in environments requiring ability to effectively prioritize and juggle multiple concurrent projects.
Stateside Associates, the leading 50-state government affairs and issue management firm, seeks a Legislative Coordinator. As a Legislative Coordinator, you will work in one of Stateside’s four Issue Teams supporting major corporations and trade associations in their state lobbying and government relations efforts.
A Legislative Coordinator is responsible for guaranteeing the quality of work completed by Legislative Associates. You will review and edit all information submitted by Legislative Associates, offering recommendations for improvement, where needed. Additionally, you will help prepare and review reports that are sent to clients, including a weekly report called This Week in the States, as well as research and write blog posts for the company’s website. Legislative Coordinators help maintain the company website, making updates when necessary to ensure that the information online is always accurate.
Benefits include: excellent Health Insurance Plan, fitness center, 401k Match, Profit Sharing and other benefits. Starting salary range is the mid to upper $30s.
Please forward resume, cover letter and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is located in Arlington, Virginia.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications or History.
- Familiarity with politics.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Keen eye for details.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a wide variety of people, both internally and externally and at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to complete tasks in a timely manner
Stateside Associates is the largest state and local government affairs firm. Since 1988, the Stateside team has worked across the 50 states and in many local governments on behalf of dozens of companies, trade associations and government and non-profit clients. Long regarded as the industry leader in State and Local Government Affairs, Stateside Associates helps its clients recognize more success from their programs by contributing experience, nationwide relationships and well-honed skills as issue managers.
The staff includes former state legislature staff members, attorneys and issue managers with a combined 90 years of state and local government experience.
From government affairs program design to execution, there are experienced Stateside professionals available to help. Whether the task is issue monitoring, retaining lobbyists, developing strategic plans, budgeting, working with Groups or integrating grasstops into your program, the experienced team at Stateside can assist.
On a daily basis, Stateside team members help clients untie the knots of state legislation and regulations – identifying problems and opportunities and developing sophisticated government affairs programs that are both effective and budget-conscious. One key to success is Stateside’s commitment to treat all clients as “clients of the firm.” That enables clients to access the full array of partner, manager and staff resources seamlessly.